How to Start a Small Business
Starting a small business can be exciting but it can also be stressful and overwhelming. The Greater Langley Chamber of Commerce has put together a guide on "how to start your small business". Not only does research take time and effort, it also takes away from growing and planning your new business. We hope to save you time and effort with this guide.
Below you will find websites and information that will help make your journey a little easier!
1. Start a business plan by writing down you ideas and goals. This gets your creative juices flowing and is key to starting your business.
2. Choosing a business structure can be hard. This page will help you make the right decision.
3. Need help writing your business plan? Here are a few tips and tricks to get you through this stage of building your small business.
4. Financing can be a big question in your business plan. Check out the Government of Canada's website here for more information.
5. One of the first steps in starting a business is choosing a name and getting it approved. See if your name is available here.
6. Once you have established the name of your business, you will need to request approval for your business name and register your business here. We can assist you in our office for a nominal fee.
7. Make your business known! Start preparing a website. If you want to hire a company to create your website give us a call and we would be happy to refer one of our amazing members.
8. You will need to register your business for tax's and a few other Government requirements.
- Provincial Sales Tax (PST)
- Goods and Services Tax (GST)
- Other Provincial, Federal and local Government registrations
- Employee Registry
9. Get to know additional business registrations and requirements here.
11. Get support and recognition by becoming a member of the Greater Langley Chamber of Commerce.
12. Thinking about finding a mentor? This website will be able to connect you with the right individual.
Congratulations on starting your business!